Getting a new puppy is an exciting time for any family! How do you pick out the right dog, and what's the best way to take care of your new family member? The stars of Disney's new movie "Super Buddies," and their trainer April Mackin stopped by Weekend Express with some helpful tips.
Mackin is one of Hollywood's top trainers, working on movies like "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" and "Dr. Dolittle 2." She says there are three rules when adopting a pet from a shelter:
1) Do your research on the type of breeds that are best for your family before taking any pet home.
2) Be sure your home matches the pets' needs. For instance, active dogs need room to run. If you don't have a yard, find dog parks to allow for exercise and socialization.
3) Take your time and interact with several dogs at the shelter. You will find after interacting with multiple dogs, the right dog will actually pick you.
Mackin also has great ideas for keeping your new puppy safe during the warm summer months:
1) Just like people, dogs need to stay hydrated, so be sure your pet has access to plenty of water.
2) Some dogs love to sunbathe, but make sure your dog has adequate shade available when they are ready for relief from the sun.
3) Never leave your dog unattended in a car during the summer month -- not even with a window cracked.
Check out the video above for some great tips on training your new pup, and catch the super dogs in action in their new movie "Super Buddies" available August 27.