Move over panda, gift and gun -- time to make way for some new emojis!
Those fantastic little keyboard symbols don't just magically appear on your phone, by the way. They're regulated by a nonprofit called the Unicode Consortium, which just announced on Monday that it'll be adding 2,834 characters to its widely-adopted standard.
Yeah, so that sounds like a lot. And it is. But keep in mind that only about 250 of those characters will be emojis. The rest include things like historic scripts and currency symbols.
And now for the part that will make many texters happy: The update includes a middle-finger emoji! Well it's about time, says the Internet.
The middle finger will be joined by symbols for the following:
- Vulcan salute (for all the Trekkies)
- Cloud with tornado (maybe firenadoes will make it in the next update)
- Military medal (for the patriotic)
- Admission tickets (for setting up that first date)
- Weight lifter (get swole, bro!)
- Om symbol (for those looking for the most passive-aggressive response ever to the middle-finger emoji)
- Man in a business suit levitating (just because)
- Reverse thumbs up sign (for the right-handed?)
- Soft shell floppy disk (wait, what the...)
- And so many more!
Which ones do you think you'll use the most? Is there something you would have rather seen make the list?