Audio of Julie Schenecker’s police interrogation took center stage during the third day of her murder trial Wednesday.
Schenecker, 53, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder for the 2011 shooting deaths of her children at their Tampa, Florida home. She faces life in prison if convicted.
Jurors will decide whether Schenecker knowingly plotted to kill her children or was legally insane at the time, unable to tell right from wrong.
Here’s a list of the top moments from court Wednesday:
1. Days before leaving home, Parker Schenecker testified he turned to his wife and asked her if she’d be okay while he was overseas on deployment. He said Schenecker looked him square in the eyes and said, “I got this.” Days later, Schenecker drove to buy the gun she used to kill their children.
2. Parker Schenecker also testified about a post-it note found on the family calendar for February 1, 2011 -- the day he was scheduled to return from his work overseas. It said, “Beau is in the van, Calyx is in her bed, tried to make her comfortable.”
3. Schenecker’s ex-husband told the jury that in February 2011, not long after Schenecker was charged, he visited her in jail and recalled how she said to him, “I guess I stomped your heart flat, huh?”
4. The crime scene analyst who tested the gun, Schenecker’s bloody bathrobe, and her journal for DNA took the stand Wednesday. She told the jury that the blood found on Schenecker’s bathrobe matched the DNA of Beau and Calyx Schenecker. She also testified that DNA found on the gun matched Beau, Calyx and their mother.
5. Lead detective Gary Sandel took the stand again on Wednesday. He told the jury the gun store Schenecker purchased the alleged murder weapon at was about 27 miles away from her home in Tampa. He also said there were 10 other stores closer to her home.
6. Lastly, on Wednesday, prosecutors played audio of the interview Sandel had with Schenecker at the police station the day her children’s bodies were discovered. Here’s a look at some of the most shocking statements made by Schenecker during that interview:
“Hey, you guys, are you leaving the kids where they lay?”
“Are my kids coming in later?”
“I just toppled over the last straw, my daughter my sixteen-year-old daughter is just mouthy.”
“I knew we were coming to suicide because she’s been so bad, snotty, and nasty; but I try to not say anything or I just cry.”
“Suicide, you kill yourself; Homicide, you kill someone else.”
“I came up behind her…with a .38….I shot her in the back of the head…and then I shot her, I think, in the mouth.”
“I took him [Beau] in the car. I was expecting him to get in the car. And he saw the gun.”
“Because they’re too sassy.”
“I said ‘I love you.’”
“I’ve always wanted to kill myself.”
“I just feel horrible. But I’ve been thinking about doing this for a long time.”
“I think I was never happy.”
“I loved them when they were birth through six. “
“They [children] were really mean.”
“He’ll [Parker Schenecker] s**t his pants…he’s going to be upset.”
“I don’t want to go to prison or jail.”
“I hated shooting him [Beau], but he’s better.”
“He [Beau] was sitting there with his face blown up.”
“I didn’t know if the neighbors would hear it [gunshots], but I guess they didn’t or they would’ve come running.”
“This is the worst thing I’ve ever done in my life.”
“Let me look in my pocket. I don’t know where the gun is. Somebody took it.
“I tried to hug my kids. And I was telling them, ‘I’ll see you again in heaven…if I get to go to heaven.”
“Beau was first, Calyx went second.”
“I hope they’re dead.”
“…they were still gurgling and making noises.”
“…I didn’t want them to be embarrassed because their mom is bi-polar and can’t help herself.”
“Last Saturday I bought the gun and then they said you have to wait 3 days.”