Military families and in fact, millions of Americans, are grieving Thursday morning in the aftermath of a chilling shooting spree in Fort Hood, Texas, early Wednesday evening that left 16 people injured and four dead, including the shooter.
Despite the chaos on the scene, people still took to Twitter to report the events as they happened. At 5:23 p.m. local time, CNN affiliate KWTX reported that one death had been confirmed in the shooting.
One of the first tweets from a person at the scene was sent at 5:37 p.m. CT. In his Twitter profile, he says he is an American soldier.
"So apparently another shooting has happened here on fort hood. It's happening now as we speak. Don't know where or who doe (cut off), " The tweet read. It has since been deleted.
By 5:58 p.m. CT, tweets were flooding in by the second. KWTX also brought us news of the responders.
The FBI arrived on the scene shortly afterwards.
At 6:19 p.m. CT, one suspect was confirmed dead, but the responders did not let their guard down.
CNN affiliate KHOU reports about the types of injuries hospitals were seeing as a result of the shooting.
An eyewitness captured video of police rushing to the scene and warning alarms.
It was believed at one point that two shooters were involved, so all buildings were searched thoroughly while the base was on lockdown. At 8:57 p.m. CT, the lockdown was lifted, reports CNN affiliate KWTX.
Fort Hood released an official report via their Twitter and Facebook pages as of 10:50 p.m. CT.
"UPDATE 2: DES officials reported that at approximately 4 p.m. April 2 a Soldier assigned to 13th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) fired shots at individuals in the 1st Medical Brigade area of Fort Hood.
Within 15 minutes, emergency services officials responded to the scene. The injured were treated at the scene and transported to area hospitals. The suspect died of a suspected self-inflicted gunshot wound, " the report said.