Boston, Massachusetts, police are directly suggesting, for the first time, that former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez may have pulled the trigger in a 2012 unsolved double homicide, according to newly unsealed documents.
"There is ... probable cause to believe that Aaron Hernandez was operating the suspect vehicle used in the shooting homicides ... and may have been the shooter," says a warrant obtained by HLN Thursday. The warrant was used to search a Toyota 4Runner that has been linked to Hernandez.
That same type of vehicle was spotted pulling into a parking garage just after midnight on July 16, 2012, and police recognized Hernandez as the vehicle's driver, according to another warrant released earlier this week.
About a half-hour later, Hernandez is seen with another man, later identified as Alexander Bradley, following the soon-to-be victims of the double homicide and two other men as they entered the nightclub Cure at about midnight, the affidavit adds.
Ten minutes later, "after consuming two drinks," Hernandez is seen leaving Cure with Bradley, the document says.
Read more: Hernandez judge denies gag order request
At about 2:20 a.m., a video reviewed by police showed the same silver SUV looping around the block "at a very slow rate of speed" after the victims leave the club and enter a parking garage, the documents show.
A short time later, police said, victims Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado were fatally shot in a 2003 BMW. Two others in the car survived. There is no video of the shooting.
No charges have been filed in the 2012 Boston double homicide case. Hernandez, however, is already facing first-degree murder and weapons charges related to the 2013 death of his friend, Odin Lloyd. Hernandez, 23, was indicted in August 2013 on those charges and has pleaded not guilty.
Read more: Photos show Hernandez allegedly holding gun
Hernandez has been holed up in a Massachusetts jail cell since his arrest on June 26 for Lloyd's slaying. He was cut by the New England Patriotsjust hours after being placed in cuffs.
Defense attorney Michael Fee has said that he is pleased his client will have "a path to trial," and that a jury will find Hernandez "innocent."
If convicted of Lloyd's murder, Hernandez could face a maximum sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.
CNN Wires, CNN National Correspondent Susan Candiotti and CNN NY Senior Producer Laura Dolan contributed to this report.