An Italian prosecutor asked an appellate court Tuesday to convict Amanda Knox and her ex-boyfriend and co-defendant Raffaele Sollecito of murder and sentence them to 26 years in prison for the 2007 stabbing death of Knox's then-flatmate, Meredith Kercher.
Read more: Knox's retrial takes a supernatural turn
Knox and Sollecito are facing their second retrial in the British exchange student’s death. The latest trial officially got underway September 30 in a Florence, Italy, courtroom.
Prosecutor Alessandro Crini asked for the convictions at the end of his two-day summation, which is similar to a closing argument.
Read more: HLNtv.com's complete Amanda Knox coverage
Crini attacked Knox’s alleged “suspicious” behavior after Kercher’s death, saying, “a person in good faith does not make incoherent statements,” in reference to Knox’s account of the morning before Kercher’s body was found. Knox allegedly told investigators that when she arrived at the flat that morning, she found some odd things like the front door left open and blood in the bathroom, but nothing “too alarming.”
The prosecutor also said that Knox’s statement made to the police when she was interrogated the night before she was arrested indicates she had “direct dealings” with the act of murder, because she allegedly told authorities she knew Kercher was involved in a sex act the night of her death, and she heard a scream.
Sollecito has claimed that he was not at the flat the night Kercher died, but Crini claimed that was a lie. The prosecutor said a forensic report shows that Sollecito's computer was not used during the hours when the homicide took place. Therefore, the prosecutor concluded Sollecito lied about being home at the time of the murder.
On November 6, Sollecito made a statement to the appellate court proclaiming his innocence.
"I would like to make you understand that these charges against me are absurd," he said. "There was not a basis to charge me, to put me in jail. I don't wish anybody on Earth to go through what I went through. This was something that was so bad," said Sollecito.
Italian law allows defendants to make a spontaneous declaration during trial. Therefore, Sollecito was not considered a witness in the case and was not subjected to cross-examination by prosecutors.
Knox has not returned to Italy for her retrial. Family spokesman David Marriott has said Knox never agreed to attend her new trial, and there's "no requirement she be there." However, Marriott did say there is a chance the Italian government could request her extradition from the United States.
Knox and Sollecito were acquitted of murder charges on October 3, 2011, and Knox returned home to Seattle shortly after her release from prison. She has led a relatively low-profile life since then. However, she has granted a few media interviews and released a book, “Waiting to be Heard: A Memoir.”
Knox, who has always denied killing Kercher, also said she is scared to go back to Italy. Rudy Guede, an Ivory Coast citizen who said he was intimate with Kercher, was later convicted of her murder. He is currently serving a 16-year prison sentence.
Defense attorneys in Knox’s retrial will give their summations in December, and a ruling is not expected from the appellate court until January.