Two stars of the popular reality TV show "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" pleaded not guilty Wednesday to two additional federal fraud charges that have been leveled against them.
Teresa Giudice, 41, and her husband, Giuseppe “Joe” Giudice, 43, had already pleaded not guilty in August to 39 other fraud-related charges.
They are accused of exaggerating their income while applying for loans before "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" debuted in 2009. The indictment against them also states the couple hid their fortunes later, while filing for bankruptcy.
The indictment additionally charges Joe Giudice with failure to file tax returns for tax years 2004 through 2008, a period during which he allegedly earned nearly $1 million.
The two additional counts announced Monday stem from a mortgage loan for $361,250 that Teresa Giudice allegedly obtained in July of 2005. Prosecutors say the couple falsely stated on the loan application that Teresa Giudice was employed as a Realtor and was making a monthly salary of $15,000.
Joe Giudice’s attorney, Miles Feinstein, told reporters after the arraignment that a trial date is expected to be decided later Wednesday.
"The kids are holding up well, it’s a great, close-knit family. Nobody can ever say Teresa isn’t the greatest mother and Joe isn’t the greatest father," Feinstein said.
Teresa Giudice's attorney, Henry Klingeman, said in a statement Wednesday following the court hearing that his client is eager to clear her name:
"She looks forward to defending herself at the trial. Beyond that, we will answer all of the charges in court, not out."
If convicted, the pair faces up to 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine for each of the new counts.