By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Close X

Amanda Knox's ex-boyfriend: I am not guilty

NEED TO KNOW
  • Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito are being retried for killing a British exchange student in 2007
  • Sollecito proclaimed he is not guilty in an Italian courtroom Wednesday
Amanda Knox's ex-boyfriend: I am not guilty

Amanda Knox's ex: I don't love her anymore

Amanda Knox's ex: I don't love her anymore

Lawyer: Amanda Knox is 'ready to fight'

File photo: Amanda Knox is escorted from her appeal hearing at Perugia's Court of Appeal on September 30, 2011 in Perugia, Italy.

Amanda Knox’s former boyfriend and co-defendant, Raffaele Sollecito, proclaimed in an Italian courtroom during their retrial Wednesday that he is not guilty of killing British exchange student Meredith Kercher in 2007.

Read more: Knox's retrial takes a supernatural turn

"I would like to make you understand that these charges against me are absurd," he said. "There was not a basis to charge me, to put me in jail. I don't wish anybody on Earth to go through what I went through. This was something that was so bad," said Sollecito.

Italian law allows defendants to make a spontaneous declaration during trial. Therefore, Sollecito was not considered a witness in the case and was not subjected to cross-examination by prosecutors.

Kercher, a 21-year-old British student studying abroad in Perugia, Italy, was stabbed to death in 2007. In 2009, Knox and Sollecito were convicted of killing Kercher, who was Knox's roommate. Their convictions were overturned due to “lack of evidence” in 2011, but Italy’s Supreme Court ruled last year to retry the case, saying that the jury didn’t take all the evidence into consideration. The retrial began on September 30.

The hearing Wednesday also delved into new DNA tests done on a knife that prosecutors say was the murder weapon. The tests did not show the presence of Kercher’s DNA on the knife. The knife was a highly debated piece of evidence in Knox and Sollecito’s original trial.

Knox’s Italian attorney, Carlo Dalla Vedova, said the DNA tests were a victory for his client, because the forensic reports proved the knife was just a kitchen knife and was not used in the stabbing.

Knox has not returned to Italy for her retrial. Family spokesman David Marriott has said Knox never agreed to attend her new trial, and there's "no requirement she be there." However, Marriott did say there is a chance the Italian government could request her extradition from the United States.

Knox returned home to Seattle in October 2011, and she has led a relatively low-profile life since then. However, she has granted a few media interviews and released a book, “Waiting to be Heard: A Memoir.”

Knox, who has always denied killing Kercher, also said she is scared to go back to Italy. Rudy Guede, an Ivory Coast citizen who said he was intimate with Kercher, was later convicted of her murder. He is currently serving a 16-year prison sentence.

The next hearing in the case will be November 25, when prosecutors will give their summations, which are similar to a closing arguments.

CNN's Hada Messia contributed to this report.

Join the conversation...

HLNtv.com welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.

Advertisement