By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Close X

Nancy Grace

"Nancy Grace" is television's only justice themed/interview/debate show for those interested in the breaking news of the day.

'A tremendous, horrific ordeal'

  • Sheriff: Hannah was under 'extreme duress' during captivity
  • Hannah Anderson reunited with father after rescue
  • 'Now it’s time for us to grieve and move on to the healing process,' Hannah's father said
'A tremendous, horrific ordeal'

Hannah Anderson's dad thanks public for help

Hannah Anderson's dad thanks public for help

'She's coming home': Teen safe after Idaho rescue

'She's coming home': Teen safe after Idaho rescue

After a massive weeklong manhunt for Amber Alert suspect James Lee DiMaggio and the 16-year-old girl he abducted after killing the girl’s mother and brother, Hannah Anderson is back in San Diego with her father and other family members. But what’s next for the sole survivor in the case that’s left the country on edge for the past week?

Brett Anderson, Hannah's father, said a press conference Monday following his daughter's rescue over the weekend that she had been through a "tremendous, horrific ordeal."

“Now it’s time for us to grieve and move on to the healing process,” Anderson said. “I respectfully ask you to give me, all of our family and our friends the respect to allow this to happen.”

DiMaggio was shot and killed Saturday by an FBI tactical agent during the rescue attempt. San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore said DiMaggio had a rifle and fired at least one round at authorities during the rescue attempt, but he didn't provide more details, citing the ongoing investigation. 

Law enforcement officers swarmed the remote area of Idaho on Wednesday following a tip from horseback riders who spotted DiMaggio and Hannah hiking with camping gear. Ultimately, a plane spotted DiMaggio’s campsite near Morehead Lake.

FBI hostage teams waited until DiMaggio and Hannah separated, ushering the teen girl to a safe area where a helicopter whisked her away.

While Hannah didn’t appear to have any physical injuries, she was immediately rushed to the hospital for evaluation, a sheriff's spokeswoman said.

The case made headlines after Hannah went missing on August 3 after attending a cheerleading practice in San Diego.

Authorities were made aware of the girl’s disappearance after the bodies of her mother, 44-year-old Christina Anderson, and her 8-year-old brother Ethan, were found in DiMaggio’s burned house in Boulevard the next day.

Gore said Hannah was held under “extreme duress” during her captivity and did not know about the deaths of her mother and brother until after her rescue. He also mentioned that Hannah was a "victim in every sense of the word" but didn't go into detail about what that meant.

“I believe that he had lured them over because of the foreclosure of his house, telling them that that he was moving out of state,” Hannah’s grandfather Chris, who wishes to only go by his first name, told HLN’s Nancy Grace Monday night.

Hannah’s close friend Marissa Chavez told HLN last week that she was in the car with Hannah and DiMaggio a few months ago when he told Hannah he had a crush on her.

“If my daughter would have suspected in any matter or thought that there was anything going on or that he had any type of feelings like this, it would have been cut off and probably, depending on what she heard, reported,” Hannah’s grandfather told Grace. 

Back in San Diego, surrounded by her family and friends, Hannah’s stunning rescue has left many wondering: How will she begin to heal after losing her mother and brother and enduring such a traumatic event?

“The healing process will be slow. She’s been through a tremendous, horrific ordeal,” Anderson said.  “She is surrounded by the love of her family, friends and community. Again, please, as a family, give us our time to heal and grieve.”

Hannah Anderson’s grandfather joins Nancy Grace Monday night. Watch his interview at 8 p.m. ET on HLN for more details about Hannah’s rescue, and what she and her family are doing to move forward after the ordeal. 

Join the conversation... welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.
Dogâs ears burned off with hydrochloric acid
On The Case | See all 2699 items Dog’s ears burned off with hydrochloric acid