It only took two and half days for more than a million people to sign a petition asking the Department of Justice to bring federal charges against George Zimmerman.
"No petition that we’ve ever had on our open petition platform has ever grown this fast," says Anna Galland, the executive director for MoveOn.org. "I think it really speaks to the sense of outrage many people feel around the whole situation."
Galland calls the petition "the first step in a broader campaign," noting that several other Zimmerman trial-related petitions have popped up on MoveOn.org, including ones that call for performers and tourists to stay away from Florida and ask jurors not to profit off of the trial.
Galland also says that MoveOn.org had one of its biggest denial-of-service attacks ever Sunday morning, barring at least 100,000 people from showing their support. The NAACP reported that its site was also down for part of Sunday because of an overwhelming response. People are also getting involved by texting “JUSTICE” to 62227.
On Saturday, a jury of six women found Zimmerman not guilty of second-degree murder in the death of Trayvon Martin. In the hours after the verdict was read, the petition was launched. It says, in part, that "the most fundamental of civil rights -- the right to life -- was violated the night George Zimmerman stalked and then took the life of Trayvon Martin. We ask that the Department of Justice file civil rights charges against Mr. Zimmerman for this egregious violation."
The federal government can now bring its own charges against Zimmerman, and that wouldn't be considered double jeopardy, because the federal government is a separate and sovereign entity from the state of Florida. The charges can also be brought at any time because there is no statute of limitations.
In a statement sent to HLN, the Department of Justice said it is continuing to investigate the Zimmerman case, which it has been doing since last year: