A Tampa woman accidentally swallowed a $5,000 diamond at a charity event last weekend.
People had paid $20 each for a glass of champagne, 399 of which had fake diamonds in them. One, however, had the genuine article, and whoever got the glass with the real diamond got to keep it.
According to HLN affiliate WFTS, the woman who was identified only as "Miriam," got the glass with the diamond. She apparently downed her drink -- gem and all -- in one sip.
Miriam immediately went to an area hospital for an X-ray, but learned diamonds don't show up on X-rays. The next day, Miriam went in for a routine colonoscopy. When Miriam arrived at the doctor's office, she gave him some special instructions.
"Be on the lookout for it in case," she told her doctor.
The diamond was eventually found. Miriam got to keep the rock and she says she'll give it to her granddaughter.