Google is winning April Fools' day. Nearly every one of it's brands is punking us in one way or another. Gmail has gone blue, YouTube is shutting down, Google Maps will now lead you to treasure -- even their super techy/boring infrastructure projects like Google fiber are getting in on the act.
But they're far from alone in their appreciation for an online gag on April Fools'... we've rounded up a few for you, and will keep updating this list as new ones pop up! If you see one, let us know in the comments... we'll give you credit!
- YouTube is shutting down?
- Vowels cost extra via Twitter's new Twttr service?
Twyttyr? Why byy vywyls whyn yyy gyt "Y" fyr fryy? Syckyrs! #nvwls
— Joan Rivers (@Joan_Rivers) April 1, 2013
- Google Nose:
- Barclays Bank (UK) introduces "Pay Wag" the contactless payment device for dogs:
- Google "Treasure" maps:
- Moving company comparison site UNPAKT says they'll move you "to the Moon!"
- Samsung introduces "Eco Trees" -- "a smart, eco-friendly air purifier that runs on solar energy"
- Gmail blue:
- Nissan Australia announces the Sandwich Toast-R "blasts sandwiches from 0-to-grilled in 2.9 seconds"
- Introducing the toaster.io: the worlds first tweeting toaster (we'd actually totally buy this if it was real)
- Google Fiber poles:
- Phil Jackson's early April Fools tweet
- AutoFriend.ly: Put your online friendships on AutoPilot
- Just in time for Baseball's opening day: International Delights introduces Peanut, Carmel Corn and Hot Dog flavor coffee creamers (spoted by Cheryl Bak)
- Virgin Airlines announces glass bottom plane! (spotted by Cheryl Bak)
Unconfirmed, but likely pranks:
- British 'Lights Tsar' to go door-to-door turning off unnecessary lights
- French newspaper to be delivered by drone