Steubenville rape investigation isn't finished

NEED TO KNOW
  • Trent Mays, Ma'lik Richmond convicted of raping 16-year-old
  • Ohio attorney general: 'Investigation cannot be completed'
Steubenville rape investigation isn't finished

Shockwave: Steubenville shakes kids beyond OH

Shockwave: Steubenville shakes kids beyond OH

Steubenville: 8 hours that changed everything

Steubenville: 8 hours that changed everything

More people may face charges in the Steubenville, Ohio, rape case involving a 16-year-old girl and two high school football players.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said Sunday that he welcomed the conviction of the two boys accused of rape, but said there was more work to be done.

Read more: Teens found guilty in Steubenville rape case

"I have reached the conclusion that this investigation cannot be completed, this investigation simply cannot be completed -- that we cannot bring finality to this matter -- without the convening of a grand jury," he said Sunday.

High school athletes Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, were found guilty of raping a girl, and then bragging about it. The prosecutors' case against the boys relied on texts, photos and videos from the boy’s cell phones.

Read more: HLN's complete coverage of the Steubenville rape case

Judge Thomas Lipps sentenced Mays to a minimum of two years in a juvenile correctional facility, and Richmond received a minimum of one year. But, like Mays, Richmond could be in detention until he is 21. It will be up to the Department of Youth Services to decide how long the boys will remain in detention.

DeWine said more people may be prosecuted for victimizing the teenage girl. "This community needs assurance that no stone has been left unturned in our search for the truth,” said DeWine.

Prosecutors said at the trial last week that the sexual abuse occurred during a series of end-of-summer parties when the girl was too drunk to consent or understand what was happening. During the course of the investigation, detectives have talked to 56 people to piece together what happened the night the rape to place. DeWine said interview subjects included everyone from teenagers who attended the parties to assistant football coaches and the high school principal, but 16 people refused to talk to investigators.

A grand jury will meet April 15, and could take “a number of days” to decide whether new indictments will be handed down, said DeWine.

"And I should point out that the convening of a grand jury, of course, does not necessarily mean that indictments will be returned or that charges will be filed," he said. "However, indictments could be returned and charges could be filed."

Bystanders at the party where the rape occurred could face charges. An Ohio law makes it a crime not to report felonies, such as a rape.

Join the conversation...

HLNtv.com welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.
Coach: Steubenville teen earned 2nd chance
Steubenville | See all 24 items Coach: Steubenville teen earned 2nd chance

Advertisement