If you’re looking for love in 2013, the first step might be getting rid of the bad dating habits you may not even know are getting in your way.
But would you be willing to put a blind date on national TV to find out what your bad habits are? Lucky for you, we found two brave souls who agreed to be set up by a matchmaker and have the whole thing recorded.
Watch the clips to see how things went for Dan & Rachel when they met for dinner at El Taco.
Meantime, here are five dating do’s and don’ts from our matchmaker Leisha Murphy, who co-founded Single Atlantawith her twin sister, Lisa Lyngos, 15 years ago.
1) Don’t share too much too soon. You’re not in a therapy session. You’re not in a job interview. You’re on a date. Keep it light and have fun.
2) Ask a variety of questions. Where did you grow up and what was your family like? What are your passions and your dreams? How do you spend a Saturday night? Those are all things that will give you insight into the person you’re with.
3) Dress to impress. As a matchmaker, I hear this all the time, mostly from women. Guys – skip the t-shirt and jeans or the shorts and flip flops and step it up a notch.
4) Politics, religion and exes. The traditional advice is to avoid those topics like the plague on a first date. But if your religion or political beliefs are really important to you, it’s okay to broach the subject in an appropriate way. You can probably still skip the talk about your exes though.
5) Be conscious of your body language. Lean in to show interest and make eye contact.