Everyone is talking about “Amour.” The Academy Awards showed its love for the Austrian film on Thursday by giving it five nominations. In honor of the five nods, we give you five facts you might not know about the film.
1) In May, “Amour” was honored at the Cannes Film Festival with its top award, the Palme d’Or.
2) The French language film stars two well known French actors, Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant, but it was directed by Austrian director Michael Haneke and was Austria’s submission for Best Foreign Language Film.
3) Michael Haneke is the first director of a foreign-language film to score a Best Director nomination in a decade.
4) At the age of 85, Emmanuelle Riva is the oldest actress ever to be nominated in the Best Actress category. Bonus fact: Her 86th birthday will be on Oscar night.
5) If you are lucky, you can still catch “Amour” in theaters. The film premiered in Cannes in May, but had a wide release in December. Click here to see if a theater in your area is showing the film.