By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Close X

Nancy Grace

"Nancy Grace" is television's only justice themed/interview/debate show for those interested in the breaking news of the day.

Defense: Man saw Phylicia Barnes alive after alleged murder

  • 16-year-old Phylicia Barnes disappeared on Dec. 28, 2010; Body found in river 4 months later
  • Half-sister's ex-boyfriend charged with murder
  • New defense witness claims to have seen Barnes alive days after prosecutors say she was killed
Defense: Man saw Phylicia Barnes alive after alleged murder

Defense attorneys for the Maryland man accused of killing teen Phylicia Barnes say they have found a new witness whose testimony could cast doubt on the allegations against him.

Russell Neverdon, an attorney for 28-year-old Michael Johnson, confirmed to HLN that the defense filed court documents this week indicating they intend to call a witness at Johnson’s trial who claims to have seen Barnes alive after prosecutors say she was killed.

Barnes, a 16-year-old from North Carolina, disappeared while visiting her half-sister in Baltimore on December 28, 2010. Johnson, who was the ex-boyfriend of Barnes’ half-sister, was allegedly the last person to see her alive.

Barnes’s body was found in the Susquehanna River nearly four months later, on April 20, 2011. In April 2012, Johnson was indicted for her murder. He is currently scheduled to go to trial on January 22, 2013.

At a bond hearing in April, prosecutors stated that Johnson was seen struggling to carry a 35-gallon tub out of the apartment building where Barnes was staying on the day she went missing, WBAL reported. According to Neverdon, prosecutors alleged that Johnson asphyxiated Barnes and carried her body away in that container.

The Baltimore Sun reported Wednesday that defense attorneys said a witness would testify that he saw Barnes alive in Cecil County, Maryland days after she was reported missing. If true, that testimony could contradict the prosecution’s theory regarding when and where Barnes was killed.

Neverdon told HLN Friday that the man’s story disproves two key elements of the state’s case—that the murder occurred within the jurisdiction of the city of Baltimore and that it happened on December 28, 2010. According to Neverdon, the witness claimed to have seen Barnes with a bald white or light-complexioned male on December 30 or 31 about four miles from the location where her body was later found.

Neverdon said the man believes “unequivocally” that the girl he saw was Barnes. He said the man contacted authorities about the sighting and was told they would get back to him, but they never did. According to Neverdon, prosecutors have interviewed the witness but they discounted his story.

Neverdon said the man contacted the defense team and they had their private investigator talk to him. He said the man provided a very close description of Barnes, including details about the clothing she was wearing when she went missing that had not been disclosed to the media at the time.

“This is someone who just said, you know, hey, I saw her and nobody listened to me,” Neverdon said.

A Baltimore State Attorney’s Office spokesman declined to comment on the case Friday, citing the pending trial.  


Join the conversation... welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.