Court documents: Elmo puppeteer 'depraved'

NEED TO KNOW
  • Another accuser has come forward, claiming the man behind Elmo had an inappropriate relationship with him
  • Clash's attorney has denied allegations, says complaint 'totally meritless'
Kevin Clash, the voice and creator of Elmo, resigned after being accused of having an inappropriate relationship with a minor.

Another accuser has come forward alleging that Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash engaged in a sexual relationship with him when he was underage.

The latest accuser filed a lawsuit Tuesday against Clash in the U.S. District Court in New York.

"I've looked at the complaint and it's totally meritless in every respect," said Clash's attorney Michael Berger. "We intend to defend Mr. Clash and his reputation vigorously."

Court documents identify the latest accuser as John Doe, protecting his identity because the lawsuit involves what it calls "facts of the utmost intimacy regarding Plaintiff's childhood sexual history."

READ FOR YOURSELF: *WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT* John Doe's civil complaint filed against Clash

In the complaint against Clash, John Doe claims he was 16 when he had sex with the then-40-year-old puppeteer. He said they met in an online gay chat room, but the boy said he had not gone there for the purpose of sex. 

"Kevin Clash was an unmarried adult male living a prominent public life centered around the entertainment of toddlers, while at the same time he was, in secret, preying on teenage boys to satisfy his depraved sexual interests," the complaint says.

The court document says Clash gave the boy alcohol in a ploy to take advantage of him sexually.

After that, the complaint says, Clash called the boy “incessantly” trying to arrange more meetings. There were additional sexual encounters after the boy turned 18, according to the documents.

The allegations are from 2000, when the accuser was 16, according to the documents.

As a 16-year-old, John Doe was not emotionally or psychologically prepared for a sexual relationship with a grown man, the court document says, and he did not become aware that he had suffered adverse psychological and emotional effects until this year.

Clash resigned from Sesame Street last week after denying accusations from another man who says Clash persuaded him to have sex when he was just 15. Another man later recanted similar accusations, saying his sexual encounters with Clash occurred as part of an “adult consensual relationship.”

Last week's accusations, which Clash has denied, were filed by Cecil Singleton, 24, who joined HLN's Dr. Drew to share his side of the story Monday night.

The revelations have caused Clash to leave his job at the children's workshop. "I am resigning from Sesame Workshop with a very heavy heart. I have loved every day of my 28 years working for this exceptional organization," Clash said in a statement announcing his departure.

"Personal matters have diverted attention away from the important work Sesame Street is doing and I cannot allow it to go on any longer. I am deeply sorry to be leaving and am looking forward to resolving these personal matters privately."

Join the conversation...

HLNtv.com welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.
Cops: Mom tries to suffocate baby in hospital
On The Case | See all 1912 items Cops: Mom tries to suffocate baby in hospital

Advertisement