Casey Anthony prosecutor: Web evidence ‘a shame’

NEED TO KNOW
  • Casey Anthony was found not guilty in the death of her daughter on July 5, 2011
  • More than a year after verdict, new evidence has surfaced
  • George & Cindy Anthony: Botched search 'clearly more than an oversight'

Casey Anthony prosecutor: She's the best liar I've ever seen

Casey Anthony prosecutor: She's the best liar I've ever seen

Cops admit missing key Tot Mom evidence

Cops admit missing key Tot Mom evidence

The world may never know who conducted a search for “fool proof” suffocation on a computer in George and Cindy Anthony’s home the day Caylee Anthony died.

The search on June 16, 2008, was done on Mozilla Firefox, which was the browser Anthony usually used. HLN affiliate WKMG in Orlando, Florida, reports that sheriff's investigators searched the computer’s Internet Explorer browsing history, but failed to search the Firefox history.

Anthony’s parents say this new evidence further exonerates George Anthony from any involvement in the child’s death.

Anthony’s former attorney Jose Baez says it’s still possible that George could have done the search, but George has said that he had already left for work when the search was conducted.

Of course, there’s also the possibility that Anthony -- or someone -- searched for a technique to kill shortly before duct tape was placed over Caylee’s mouth and nose. In July 2011, a jury acquitted Casey Anthony of all the charges related to her child's death, but convicted her on four counts of lying to law enforcement.

Prosecutor Jeff Ashton told WKMG that this evidence could have made a difference in Anthony’s murder trial.

"It's just a shame we didn't have it. This certainly would have put the accidental death claim in serious question," said Ashton.

George and Cindy Anthony released this statement Monday through their attorney, Mark Lippman:

“Recently a book was written which made libelous statements and raised baseless speculation about who performed computer searches relating to the term 'fool-proof suffocation.' This weekend it was discovered that this particular search term was never brought to the attention of the State Attorney’s Office. Further this search was never brought out in the trial and was never discussed or disclosed to the Anthonys. However, while it is clearly more than an oversight, the trial is over and the Anthonys are continuing to move forward with their lives. The only finality that this newest information brings is that once again the evidence clearly vindicates George Anthony from any argument made by any party relating to his involvement with whatever happened to his granddaughter, Caylee Anthony.”

Casey Anthony was sentenced to four years. With credit for time served before and during her trial, she was released from jail July 17, 2011.

Her attorneys are getting the chance to argue that her four convictions for lying to law enforcement should be overturned. A Florida appeals court in Daytona Beach has scheduled Anthony’s appeal for January 8. 

Join the conversation...

HLNtv.com welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.
Four things to know about the Casey depositions
Casey Anthony | See all 146 items Four things to know about the Casey depositions

Advertisement