The new iPhone 5 has been unveiled! Whether it met your expectations are not, chances are pretty high that you'll be buying it ... eventually. So what are you supposed to do with your old iPhone? HLN money expert Clark Howard says you've got a couple of choices: You can try to trade it in for cash or you can donate to a good cause.
Here are some companies that will pay you for your old iPhone (but you better act fast! as more used iPhones flood the market, the prices will go down:
- Amazon - They'll pay you in Amazon gift cards.
- Gazelle - Click through the site, answer a few questions and find out how much they'll offer.
- Apple - Use their calculator to see how much your phone is worth to them.
Here are some companies that are taking iPhone donations:
- AnySoldier.com - You can donate your phone (or minutes) to a soldier.
- The Wireless Foundation - donates used phones to victims of domestic violence. Find your local donation center on the website or mail your old phone, battery and charger to: Call to Protect, c/o Motorola, 1580 E. Ellsworth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48108.
- Collective Good - allows you to pick the charity of your choice. For more information call 770-856-9021.
- charitablerecycling.com - gives used phones to senior citizens and battered women for emergency 911 services and also to patients awaiting organ transplants.