10 buzzworthy quotes from Obama's speech
NEED TO KNOW
- President Obama accepted his party's nomination for president
- Read below for some of the best quotes of the night
- "Michelle, I love you so much. The other night, I think the entire country saw just how lucky I am. Malia and Sasha, we are so proud of you – and yes you do have to go to school in the morning. And Joe Biden, thank you for being the best Vice President I could ever hope for."
- "The truth gets buried under an avalanche of money and advertising. If you’re sick of hearing me approve this message, believe me – so am I."
- “Feel a cold coming on? [Republicans will say] Take two tax cuts, roll back some regulations, and call us in the morning!”
- "A new tower rises above the New York skyline, al Qaeda is on the path to defeat, and Osama bin Laden is dead."
- "You might not be ready for diplomacy with Beijing if you can’t visit the Olympics without insulting our closest ally."
- "If you can’t afford to start a business or go to college, take my opponent’s advice and 'borrow money from your parents.' You know what? That’s not who we are. That’s not what this country’s about."
- "The election four years ago wasn’t about me. It was about you. My fellow citizens – you were the change."
- "I recognize that times have changed since I first spoke to this convention. The times have changed – and so have I. I’m no longer just a candidate. I’m the President."
- "If you turn away now -- if you buy into the cynicism that the change we fought for isn’t possible, well, change will not happen."
- "Yes, our path is harder -- but it leads to a better place. Yes our road is longer -- but we travel it together. We don’t turn back. We leave no one behind. We pull each other up. We draw strength from our victories, and we learn from our mistakes, but we keep our eyes fixed on that distant horizon, knowing that Providence is with us, and that we are surely blessed to be citizens of the greatest nation on Earth."