Editor's Note: Soap superfans Jason Spitzer and Bren Coombs of Soap Opera Socialite had the amazing opportunity to iReport on the red carpet and in the press room for the Daytime Emmys, which took place on Saturday, and aired on HLN. Spitzer, who has blogged for HLNTV.com interviewed several of the stars (both human and animal) that night, while Coombs took charge of the camera.
Coombs wrote this blog post about their most memorable moments of the day:
Jason and I had a great time iReporting for CNN on the red carpet at the Daytime Emmys on Saturday! Here are our top eight Daytime Emmys Most Memorable Moments, in chronological order.
1. Erika Slezak, the six-time Emmy winner from “One Life To Live" - Jason’s favorite soap opera - stopped on the red carpet to chat with us, the pinnacle of our interviews. Erika and Jason joked about Erika’s character Victoria Lord’s alter-egos making an appearance on “General Hospital” to shake things up. We really enjoyed talking to Erika. She was gracious and had a great sense of humor, which made us love her even more than we already did.
2. If you want to make a memorable first impression, try knocking over your camera tri-pod, dropping your phone, and tripping on your dress while trying to get down from a platform. That is exactly what happened when I tried to quickly get down from my videoing position to take a photo with Elizabeth Hendrickson (“All My Children”) on the red carpet. Even if Liz does manage to forget me almost face-planting at her feet, I won’t.
3. Furry creatures and creepy-crawlers were all around. Elmo won an Emmy, Oscar the Grouch presented with Anderson Cooper, Debbie Gibson had some sort of woodland creature clinging to her, and there was a live cockroach loose on the stage. Not to mention, on the red carpet, we watched Melissa Claire Egan nearly lose an eye to a porcupine quill and saw everyone eyeing the potential shoe opportunities in the alligator’s skin: things we won’t soon forget. This year’s entertainment was definitely something different and brought with it childhood nostalgia.
4. Anthony Geary, General Hospital’s Luke Spencer, won his seventh Daytime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.” This year’s win breaks the record for the most Daytime Emmy wins by an actor, which Tony previously shared with Erika Slezak, Justin Deas, and Rosie O’Donnell. Maybe his character’s son, Lucky, has something to do with his winning streak?
5. Heather Tom, from The Bold And The Beautiful, became the first actor to win in all three actor categories, winning “Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series” after previously winning in the Supporting category for The Bold And The Beautiful, and twice in the Younger Actress category for The Young And The Restless. The pregnant actress said her son was doing backflips over her achievement. Imagine the “where were you when” story he’s going to have!
6. The Queen of Daytime herself, Susan Lucci, took time to visit the press room after she presented, being the only presenter to do so, which we appreciated and found impressive. When I told Susan that the fans on Facebook and Twitter were very excited about the newly announced pick-up of her show Devious Maids, she was very humbled and appreciative to the fans for their support.
7. Not only does Frank Valentini (“General Hospital”) know how to run a show, he also knows how to throw a great party! While the CBS after party wrapped fairly early, the ABC after party went on well into the early morning. The majority of the "General Hospital" cast and crew were there, as well as many familiar faces from "All My Children" and "One Life To Live." The great DJ and open bar didn’t hurt, either.
8. At the ABC after party, the coveted "General Hospital" Emmy statuette was working the room, posing for photographs and shaking hands. I was lucky enough to make the award’s dance card, posing for a photo that immediately made it onto Facebook as my profile picture. “I would like to thank…”
It was a memorable evening, to say the least! We are so glad we were able to share our experience with everyone through iReport.
Check out more of their red carpet adventures here!