By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Close X

Electronic cigarette blows up in man's face

  • Florida man's teeth were blown out of his mouth
  • Firefighters believe electronic cigarette's battery exploded
Electronic cigarette blows up in man's face

A Florida man is recovering from severe injuries and burns after an electronic cigarette blew up in his mouth.

Tom Holloway has lung-related health problems and had been using electronic cigarettes for about two years, according to a friend who spoke with HLN affiliate WEAR.

"[His wife] said that it sounded like a firecracker, and it was just a horrible noise, and she heard him scream and she ran in there," Wendy Jensen told the station.

Fire Chief Butch Parker says he believes the battery caused the explosion. “[W]henever the battery ignited, it was basically like him holding a bottle rocket in his mouth," he said.

All of Holloway’s teeth and part of his tongue were blown out of his mouth. "[H]e had blood all over his face, and it set the study on fire,” said Jensen. "Oh it's horrible, we were just up all night thinking about it -- it's horrible."

Firefighters were unable to tell the brand of the cigarette after the explosion. They say it's the first time they've heard of such a thing and have reported the incident to a national database so any possible patterns can be identified.

Join the conversation... welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.
Sheep finally sheared after 6 years
OMG | See all 2245 items Sheep finally sheared after 6 years