Hope you had a relaxing and restful Thanksgiving! Today you may be on the go – headed home after the holiday, or maybe to the stores for Black Friday. While the roads may be packed now with travelers and shoppers, today will not be the busiest one of the weekend. Traditionally, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after will be the most jammed on the roads and in the air. In fact this year, look for even more people out and about than last year:
“Thanksgiving travel in the U.S. is projected to increase 4 percent this year from 2010, with more than 42.5 million Americans taking a trip of 50 miles or more away from home between Wednesday, Nov. 23 and Sunday, Nov. 27. Auto travel remains the preferred method of travel this Thanksgiving with 38.2 million Americans traveling via automobile, also up 4 percent from last year. Auto travelers make up 90 percent of all holiday travelers”
Since triple A says most people will make their journey by car, it’s important to make sure you have an emergency kit ready in your vehicle. What should the kit contain? Here is a checklist from Ready.gov:
• Jumper cables
• Flashlights and extra batteries
• First aid kit and necessary medications in case you are away from home for a prolonged time
• Food items containing protein such as nuts and energy bars; canned fruit and a portable can opener
• Water for each person and pet in your car
• AM/FM & NOAA radio to listen to weather and traffic reports and emergency messages
• Cat litter or sand for better tire traction
• Ice scraper
• Warm clothes, gloves, hat, sturdy boots, jacket and an extra change of clothes
• Blankets or sleeping bags
Enjoy the holiday weekend & have a safe trip!
Bonnie’s book EXTREME WEATHER (Palgrave Macmillan) will be in stores everywhere on 1/31/12!